Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sometimes its best just to ignore people

Scratch that. Let's say "It's almost always best to just ignore people." At least that's true of office environments, especially this office environment. I know how much that makes me sound like a misanthropic hermit, but the people here are literally trying to leech out each other's time to save themselves from boredom.
On the way to the breakroom where you get to spend 15 precious minutes not chained to a telephone any one of your co-workers may say something to the effect of "What's that on your shirt?" or if they can't even muster something specific they'll make a vague statement in an accusing tone like "I see what you're up to!"
All you see is me going on my break to eat sugary or salty junk food (it would've been sugary this time around) and I don't need you getting in my way. It would seem as though some people actually like these disruptions, as they probably have even less to do on their breaks than they do when they get home to their depressing little lives of repetitious decay.
And maybe I don't have so much to do that I need to shun all social interractions. But I do have a brand new episode of the WTF Podcast to listen to, and I'm dead certain that whatever Marc Maron is rambling about today is infinitely more interesting than whatever comments they might be trying to make about my t-shirt. This just happens to be the shirt that I'm wearing. You see Maron actually gets paid to talk, and I know we get paid to talk too. But we only get to talk about how to fix printers, not the cognitive dissonance one experiences being a consumer and a counter-culturist taking a tour of the World of Coca-Cola.
I hadn't really started this entry intending to advertise the WTF Podcast, with Marc Maron, I had meant to rant about the idiots I'm surrounded by how much I hate them trying to interact with me. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Leave me alone, and listen to the podcast. It's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment